Friday 19 August 2011

Leaving work on time, it's a great thing

How to Stop Working and Go Home At Night http://lifehac.kr/mXRrPl I have been using some of these for a while now. They do work.

I am to leave work on time at least 95% of the time. If there is an problem, I will hang back to help a customer.

My view is you are paid $XY,000.00 for around 2,000 hours of work. I put in my time at work, I eat at my desk most days for several reason, one of them is to monitor incoming orders on our e-commerce system because the customer service group all leave their desks at lunch. If there is a major problem with an order will hang it in the system so it does not release to shipping. I also do a lot of work at home on my time, it is easier to plan/develop a program at home with no interuptions than at work. But I still want to leave work at quitting time because after 9 or 10 hours there I need a change of seat/desk, change in to comfortable clothing.

After a week of 10 or 12 hours days, you are not functioning at your best. You need down time, to let your brain work on some of the problems your are trying to solve indirectly.

I have a standing lunch timer on my iCal so my iPad and iPod Touch both go off at 11:55 AM every week day unless it have changed my calendar for that day. I have a standing Go Home timer set for 4:25 PM every week day.

It took several years for me to get in the habit and feel ok about leaving ON TIME. This is the key you are not ducking out early you are leaving ON TIME.

For the times when you just have to put in extra time at work, try to go in early. If find that if I go in for 6:30AM instead of 7:30AM I can get more done as there are no interruptions at that hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment